Congratulations to Ella Spence who represented West Kildonan Collegiate as part of the Seven Oaks Student Climate Crisis Collective. Students from eight schools from Seven Oaks School Division presented at this month’s board meeting on the urgent need to take climate action. They were inspired by activist such as Greta Thunberg to act locally, in order to mitigate climate change. These young leaders organized and presented six key recommendations to the Seven Oaks School Board on November 25, 2019.
- SOSD to declare a climate emergency.
- Complete an environmental assessment and find ways to reduce the school division’s carbon emissions.
- Transportation, switch to electric school buses and participate in active/sustainable transportation to school.
- Develop schoolyards that contribute to climate mitigation and support biodiversity.
- Improve school waste and water management.
- More support for student leadership opportunities around the climate crisis.
As a result of their efforts, the Seven Oaks School Board has approved the endorsement of the development of a Climate Action Plan Policy.